0

Overcoming Down Days

This week has been particularly tough for me. Recovery from my gallbladder removal hasn't been as fast as I'd like, returning to work has been difficult and exhausting and I've felt very stuck in what to do about it all. Tuesday everything came to head after I had to leave a course early out of sheer exhaustion. It was my first attempt at an all-day activity, which in my eyes should've been easy 4 weeks after surgery and yet that wasn't the case.

Thankfully I'm feeling better now. Thanks to the help from Tom, my mum and a friend who have all done their best to cheer me up but also give practical help and advice, I've got a path forward again and some tactics in place to regain my energy.

Since I've found these ideas so helpful in this last week alone, I wanted to share a few with you guys so that you too could pull through tough times a little easier. :)

Girls wearing bright dresses - one pink, one yellow

Wear Bright Colours

When you're not feeling great it can be tempting to hide away in your oldest, comfiest pjs or big baggy clothes if you have to go out. Instead, put on your brightest top or bling it up with some pretty accessories. The colours will give you an energetic and mood boost each time you catch your reflection. This week I've made sure to pull out my Spring wardrobe and wear my pastel pinks and grass greens, leaving the Winter shades in the drawer!

Get More Sleep

It might sound obvious or easier said than done, but whether it's a nap or an early night you need to let your body rest. Things always feel a lot worse when you're tired, which is exactly why Tuesday was so difficult for me, so the best thing you can do is write off the 'should do's and make time for some extra sleep instead.

"everytime I dance I turn into a better version of me" quote

Dance Around To Your Favourite Song

You might not feel like you have the energy for dancing at this stage, but even a little wiggle or foot tap while seated will get you started. By picking your favourite song you're reminding yourself of happier times and by dancing you're getting your energy moving and waking up those endorphins. This was how I spent Wednesday morning while getting ready for work and it kept me going much longer than usual!

Talk To The People Who 'Get' You

Pushing through a tough time alone can be torture. You get stuck in your own negative spirals and it can get even harder to pull yourself out of it. Talk to someone (or a couple of someones) who understand you and will appreciate the fact you're not just 'having an off day'. They're the ones who can put things in perspective for you, remind you of why you're great and also take your mind of the problems for a little while. This is where my support group really came through for me this week and I'm very grateful to have them.

Cut Yourself Some Slack

It's not easy to be happy 100% of the time and if you're facing chronic pain or illness that's doubly true. Endometriosis can mess with your hormones (which is why a balanced diet can help so much), wear you out and make you snappy even when you're feeling your best so if you're not firing on all cylinders don't beat yourself up. The best thing you can do is admit you're not at your best right now and look after yourself instead of feeling guilty.


It's not easy to pull out of a tough time (otherwise it wouldn't be called tough!) but that doesn't mean you have to give in to it. Taking small steps over time will turn things around and until things are better at least these tips will give you some bright moments among the hard ones. :)

What are your cheer up tips? What helps you pull out of a funk when things are particularly tiring for you? I'd love to hear in the comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top