0

New Flat: Week 1

Hello lovely people!

We have officially been in our new flat over a week now and it's been pretty interesting! Moving in was a bit of drama which I won't bore you with, but suffice it to say that we have none of the furniture we were planning to move in with. It's all worked out well, but my plan of using all pre-loved furniture went a little down the drain thanks to some weather mishaps and sizing issues!

We have a new IKEA bedroom set, although I chose one that will be with us for many years to come so I had sustainability in mind there. A new tv, which will also be dead before we replace it - had no choice with this one since the old one got rained on in transit. We also have a brand new sofa and armchair, second hand! Crazy as that sounds, someone a family member knew had the 3 piece set in his garage because he'd bought it and it wasn't right. Still in its wrapping, it had sat there for over a year and after hearing our situation he was happy to give it to us for the low price of: our old sofa that wouldn't fit! So we have a brand new cream leather sofa and it didn't cost us a penny. :)

So minor furniture issues aside, everything has been beyond amazing this last week. I've suffered a few health issues (understatement of the year!) but Tom has been fantastic at looking after me and sorting all the official stuff I've not been able to take care of. We've had great fun playing board games, putting furniture together and moving it around to make it perfect, playing on the wii and generally just enjoyed having our own space. :)

One thing I've been having fun with is finding ways to cut down on our bills, not that we've had one yet! We're on a water meter and our heating is on the electric so we've been cutting back in every way we can without actually sacrificing anything. The heating hasn't gone on except to dry out the mattress when we moved in (seriously - weather mishaps!) and to give the washing a boost drying when it was particularly wet outside. It's actually pretty toasty in the flat until 8/9pm, at which point we pull the blanket off the bed and snuggle up. :)
We're also turning absolutely everything off when it isn't in use - including the oven and washing machine (at the wall that is)! The only things that are running 24/7 in our house are the hot water heater and the fridge/freezer. I'll be really interested to see what our bills come to at the end of the month. I'm hoping they're not that high because I'm not sure we could cut back much more without sacrificing something!

Today's post was a bit of a lengthy one, but I felt I owed you a decent post since I haven't been on much lately! Internet is arriving in our flat on the 25th June and I can't wait! Until then I'll be updating you as and when I can. :) I have a few ideas for some interesting posts so watch this space. ;)

Much love
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top