0

Creating Home Away From Home

Hello again!

By the time you read this I'll have been living in Ireland for almost 3 whole weeks which seems crazy! But despite having moved here with the plan to be in our new home within the first week, I'm still homeless in a philosophical sense, if not a physical one.

Since my last update things got a bit more complicated and it could now be anything from 1 to 4 weeks until we move in. In the meantime we're staying with very kind family friends who've let us move into the attic bedroom and donated use of their dining room/study as a lounge for us. Despite it being a difficult situation to be in, everyone I've met since moving has been so lovely - I've been made so welcome it's unbelievable.

But all the loveliness in the world can't take away the stress or awkwardness that arises from not having your own home, and here I'm more talking a place that you feel comfortable and can just relax. The house we're staying in is better than we could hope for as an in-between place to live, but we're still guests and no matter how lovely our hosts are I'm still conscious of not getting in the way or making mess etc. (That's a me thing - they've made it more than clear we're welcome and to use anything we need!)

At first it was quite distressing not knowing when I'd get a place of my own (again, a philosophical "home", not a place to stay), but once the dramatic side of me shut up for a moment I realised that it's exactly what I'll be signing up for when we go travelling so it's something I'd better prepare for! Plus if we're talking in a philosophical sense, can't home be anywhere you want it to be? Which leads me to today's blog post: creating home away from home. This is exactly what I've tried to do and so far it's done wonders for my stress levels, so I wanted to share some of my tips with you!

1. Mind matters

This is probably the most important step (and possibly the hardest) because if you don't get your head in the right place none of the others will work. I wanted somewhere I felt comfortable - like I could relax without having to worry about anything and eventually I realised that isn't location dependant. My ability to relax comes from me and my worries about other people, which is something I can (and am trying to) let go of. So first up decide what it is about home that you want - somewhere to relax, somewhere your belongings are? Somewhere you can talk to loved ones? Then you can go about creating that wherever you are.

2. Create your "Home" spot

Wherever you're staying you need to pick a spot to be home. It doesn't need to be big - for mine I've chosen the bedside table in our room. This amount of space could feasibly be found anywhere we stay - just a little square next to my pillow whether that's a bedside table in a room or a patch on the floor in a hostel/tent.

Pick items that either remind you of the home in your head (your childhood bedroom for example, or reminders of family and friends) or create the kind of home you're aiming for and have them in this space. Since my goal was a place to feel comfortable and relax I chose to purchase a plant and a candle and have them alongside a "New Home" card my sister gave us when I left England. It doesn't matter that the room, the bed or even the table aren't mine - those items are and that means I have a little place of my own. Plus it looks super cute and tidy in a slightly chaotic room (we're surrounded by boxes and bags of our stuff right now) so it can be calming to see when you walk in.

The plant is called Steve.

3. Time to relax

There's no point creating home if you're not spending any time there. Even if it's only 5 minutes, spend some time in your spot (or next to it might be more appropriate..) and just relax. Whether it's reading, talking to a family member or friend, listening to music... whatever it is that made you want a 'home' in the first place. Today I wasn't feeling my best so I lit the candle (vanilla btw, yum!) and spent an hour reading. I still don't feel great, but it left me feeling a little more relaxed and able to take on my tasks for the day. :)

4. Get into a routine

Most people associate routines with getting up and ready for work or weekend plans, but routine can apply just as much when you're travelling around the world or moving a number of times in a short space of time. This regularity can really help with your sense of home and belonging so it's important to create one, just make sure it's flexible enough to suit your changing situation.

For example mine is to wake up and spend 15-20 minutes cuddling/snoozing with Chris before the day gets busy. Then he goes off to the shower while I head downstairs and prepare breakfast. We eat together and then he leaves for work, leaving me to take my medication and plan my day out. Altogether it takes about an hour and even though it's incredibly simple, it sets me in a good mood for the day.

5. Keep it simple and tidy

The beauty of a having a home spot is in its simplicity - just a few items can make anywhere feel like home, so it's counterproductive if you then let it get messy. Don't go overboard on items and turn it into a shrine either, as that's difficult to recreate in any environment. A quick tidy up could even be part of your daily routine - even though it's not a conscious thing, I grab any rubbish, glasses etc. from the bedside table before I head downstairs each morning.

I found this image just hours after writing this blog!



Being without a physical home isn't always easy, but it doesn't need to be as stressful as I first made it. After all - home is where the heart is! What does 'home' mean to you? Is it a place with all your stuff, somewhere you can relax? What do you do to make your space feel like home? I'd love to hear from you in the comments!

Love,
Ami
xx

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top